Saturday, May 14, 2016

Losmandy G-11 RA & Dec extension kit

One of the challenges with the Losmandy G-11 mount is that when tracking past the meridian, the saddle plate can impact the RA motor.   To mitigate this issue, at least partially, Losmandy offers a RA Extension kit.  This kit adds 1.5" to the RA body and also raises the Saddle Plate by 0.6".  I've had the kit sitting in the box for months. While setting the scope back up after returning from the Deep South Spring Scrimmage seemed like the perfect time to install this kit.

As one would expect, the fit and finish of all parts was excellent.  The installation was very easy and took only a few minutes. I've posted pictures of the install to my FLICKR account.   Despite the extended appearance, the mount is still rigid.  I had to wait a few days to test the mount due to weather.  The mount performed flawlessly and I enjoyed being able to track well past the meridian without colliding with the mount.  An excellent addition to my mount.  In my opinion, this option should come standard on the mount.

No comments:

Post a Comment