Friday, July 6, 2012

Binocular viewing Scorpius

After the storms today, the skies finally cleared up a bit tonight.  It was too muddy and damp to setup the scope but I went out around 2330 with my binoculars and was treated to the best skies I've had in weeks.  Not great but decent.  The only problem was trying to hold the binoculars steady while being feasted upon by mosquitos.

Scorpius was in a pretty clear portion of the sky and I had a good time studying this area of the sky.   I couldn't quite make out M7 naked eye, but with my binoculars it was easily noted.  M6 is smaller and an order of magnitude dimer and was very difficult to make out.  I'm not sure if I saw it or if I just think I did because I knew where it was.  

Around midnight the moon rose over the house and washed out much of the sky so I gave up and came in.

No comments:

Post a Comment